Christmas Tea Cakes

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Well the most wonderful time of the year has almost arrived and while everyone is busily finishing their Christmas shopping and cooking I'm taking on a baking challenge.   I am attempting to make my husband the only gift he requested this year.   He has hinted some about wanting his sister, Diane Lewis, to make him some of her wonderful teacakes.   He never called her and kept hinting to me, so when I got off work early on Thursday,12/22/11, I decided to give it a try.

While getting prepared to take on this challenge, I discovered that I didn't have any buttermilk, so off to google to search the best way to substitute, which was extremely easy:

  
1 T white vinegar and enough milk added to make 1 cup.   Let stand for 5 minutes  
WOW!  This is so much better than buying buttermilk just for a small amount.



Rolled out & cut

The house was beginning to smell absolutely wonderful but the sight was almost too much to handle, for someone that is OCD.   Flour was  scattered from the tip of my nose to the bottom of my toes.   I've never seen such as mess.  


The cooling teacakes!

Well as I'm waiting for the wonderful smelling treat to cool so I can sample, I always sample prior to serving to make sure the finished product is acceptable for the cherished recipient, I grabbed a glass of milk and sampled my first warm teacake.   After a few, I decided they would be okay to serve.  I plated them up and awaited the true test.   JOEL!!!


The finished product!

Joel was surprised and shocked to see that I took the time to take the challenge and it was well worth it when he said they were wonderful and equivalent to his sisters'.

Job Well Done!

Now for the recipe, because I knew you would be asking, keep reading:

The very best Tea Cakes

Originally from Diane Lewis

Ingredients

  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 6 cups flour (enough to make stiff)

Instructions

  1. Mix all ingredients together until dough is very stiff.
  2. Roll out on floured board and cut.
  3. Bake 350 for 12 minutes.....appx. based on the thickness of your teacakes.
Until we meet again,

Comments